NEW YORK – The Trump administration last week notified some Huawei suppliers that it was revoking licenses to sell to the Chinese technology giant and intends to reject dozens of other applications to supply the telecommunications equipment maker, Reuters reported people familiar with the matter.
The action against Huawei Technologies, probably the latest in the administration of Republican President Donald Trump, is the latest in a long-running effort to weaken the world’s largest telecommunications equipment company, which it says is a threat to U.S. national security and foreign policy interests.
The warnings came amid a wave of U.S. action against China in the last days of the Trump administration. Democrat Joe Biden will be sworn in as president Wednesday.
A Commerce Department spokesman did not immediately return requests for comment.
In an email seen by Reuters documenting the actions, the Semiconductor Industry Association said Friday that the Commerce Department had issued “the intent to deny a significant number of license applications for exports to Huawei and revocation of at least one previously issued license “. Sources familiar with the situation, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said there was more than one revocation.
The email said the shares covered a “wide range” of products from the semiconductor industry and asked companies if they had received notices.
The email indicated that companies had been waiting “many months” to make licensing decisions and that the administration was less than a week away, tackling it was a challenge.
A spokesman for the semiconductor group did not immediately respond to a request for comment.