Its independence and hygiene make many people decide to adopt them. However, a scientific study put the scene at the center of the scene danger of having cats Like pets: most carry a parasite that can cause schizophrenia to humans.
It's about it Toxoplasma gondii, what it spreads Among people, especially when they come into contact with plastic tray which is used to make the animal's needs. But it is not the only way to infect it; It can also happen, for example, when eating raw meat.
This parasite generally does not hurt, but scientists from the University of Copenhagen in Denmark conducted research that indicated that the risk of developing a schizophrenia panel increases by 50% for the infected.
Schizophrenia is a serious cerebral illness distortion in thought, the perception and the emotions. Patients may experience hallucinations, that is, listen or see something that others do not. They can also express abnormal ideas – called delusions – that are not in line with reality.
The analysis was conducted on more than 80 thousand people in the Danish Donors Blood Study, where they found more than 2500 cases of people with adverse psychiatric conditions. The specialists detected the parasite in a quarter of the population studied, of which 61% had cytomegalovirus, which also causes cognitive impairment.
In the study it was found that infected with Toxoplasma gondii They are almost 50% more likely to be diagnosed with schizophrenia than those who do not. This parasite can prevent the action of an amino acid in the body called tryptophan, which would cause large amounts of metabolites such as quinurene acid, a substance found in people with schizophrenia.
the parasite T. gondiiAs you also know, it is more popular for the infection called toxoplasmosis, which causes symptoms similar to flu. Most of the time the illness is very low risk. However, in the case of pregnant women It becomes more complicated as it can generate serious risks for the baby.
How to prevent contagion?
• If you have a cat, check that you are healthy, visit the veterinarian and do the corresponding desparasitations.
• Clean the cat litter box daily using gloves and rent your hands later. Cat feces are only infectious after 36 hours.
• If you do not have a cat, when doing gardening jobs, I think that there may be remains of fecal matter in other cats, therefore, use gloves.
• Do not eat raw meat, little cooked or sausages.
• Clean the utensils and / or items that have been in contact with raw meat.
• carefully wash fruits and vegetables.
• The parasite resists low temperatures, but does not stop them. Cooking food at high temperatures guarantees its death.
• Rent your hands always before eating.
• It is important to undergo controls throughout the course of pregnancy, so that a possible contagion can be identified immediately.