Tuesday , September 27 2022

There is no intention of eliminating the two Transitway containers after a fatal accident


Two-story buses will not be removed from the Transitway now that it will be open again after the fatal accident on Friday at the Westboro station, according to the head of OC Transpo.

Three people were killed and 23 were injured on Friday afternoon when a two-story bus linked to Kanata stopped at a shelter for buses at the station.

"I know, and I am totally respected, that there are many questions on this subject [whether they’re] sure ", the general manager of OC Transpo, John Manconi, told the CBC News Sunday night.

"We have very safe vehicles, they are tested. They assume all the inspection requirements. We have carried out rigorous independent tests carried out when these vehicles were taken on board."

Flowers and candles are created at Westboro Station in Ottawa on January 13, 2019, two days after three people were killed and 23 injured in an accident with a two-story OC bus Transpose (Robyn Miller / CBC)

Open at 7:30 p.m.

After the accident, the Transitway was closed between Dominion and Tunney's Pasture.

The City of Ottawa said on Sunday afternoon that the Transitway would open again at 7:30 p.m., and that the bus stops installed on the next Scott Street would be closed.

In a tweet, Mayor Jim Watson said staff with OC Transpo and Ottawa Public Health would be on hand tonight and Monday to help riders.

Manconi said that the two-story buses also went to route 269, which was the route the bus was going through, which was involved during the Friday accident.

"We are very, very confident that they are safe vehicles. They will be in use," said Manconi. "And if our customers have any questions, our operators have a question, we are there to help."

The city has also created two temporary memorial sites at the Westboro station: one at the bottom of the Transitway platform in the west and another at the upper level at the corner of Scott Street and Athone Avenue.

A section of Scott Street, near the Westboro station, also had closed after the accident, but it reopened on Saturday.

Source link