Thousands of families still live in the dark after a major snowstorm in the Atlantic of Canada, forcing several schools and warming centers to settle across the region on Friday.
The main snowstorm that hit this Thursday on the east coast of Canada came with high winds and a heavy and humid snow that lowered several electric lines throughout the region throughout the day.
The power cuts reached the maximum on Thursday to more than 300,000 customers, with about 250,000 of those customers of Nova Scotia Power. Since then, this figure has been reduced to around 13,000 in the province.
The remaining interruptions are concentrated in north and northeast of Nova Scotia, with most of them in Amherst, Stellarton and Tatamagouche.
The company says it will update restoration times throughout the day.
"Restorations have been particularly difficult in the northeastern part of the province where the crews have been dealing with trees in contact with high-voltage lines and fallen cables," said Sean Borden, leader of the storm of Nova Scotia.
Interruptions persist in P.E.I.
In P.E.I., the interruptions reached the 80,000 in Maritime Electric with the 7,000 customers of Summerside Electric as well. On Friday morning, nearly 7,000 Maritime Electric customers were still affected by interruptions.
The crew outside the province are helping to restore power, and utility said the cleaning work will continue.
"We are still in a great storm recovery mode for us. Cleanliness will take place well within days and weeks ahead," said Kim Griffin, spokesman for Maritime Electric.
In addition, problems with the submarine cable that connect the network to New Brunswick cut off the flow of electricity from the continent.
In New Brunswick, more than 8,000 NB Power customers still do not have electricity. At the peak of the storm, NB Power nearly 46,000 customers did not have electricity after winds of 80 kilometers per hour reaching the province.
Most of the clients still affected are in Kent County, where about 3,000 households are experiencing interruptions.
Marc Belliveau, spokesman for NB Power, said that more than 90 crews are hosting power throughout the province. It is expected that power be restored to residents on Friday.
Meanwhile, Belliveau asks clients to move away from fallen lines or trees to cables, and for families unable to separate items.
"This collection of cold charging is causing repeated interruptions as we restore power and slow down our progress," he said.