Is it a good or bad figure? Here are the keys for you to decide …
Today, the National Institute of Statistics (INE) released the national unemployment rate for the mobile quarter, August-October, which reached 7.1%. Is it a good or bad figure? Here are the keys for you to decide:
1. Total unemployment rises
– The level of 7.1%, already observed in the immediately preceding quarter, represents a rise of 0.4 decimals compared to the same period of 2017.
– Female unemployment over 7%. The rise in one year is reflected more strongly in the case of male unemployment, which goes from 6.3% to 6.9%, while among women it rises from 7.3% to 7.4% .
– The unemployed increased 6.4%, explained by the unemployed (6.0%) and those who are looking for work for the first time (10.6%).
2. There is still a flight
– Labor force increased by 1.4%, which represents an acceleration compared to 0.9% in the period July-September, but at a rate less than 2.3% a year ago.
– The occupied ones show similar dynamics. They grow 1% -equivalent to 83,660 people-, more than the previous 0.5%, but it is less than the 1.9% twelve months ago. The rise mainly affected construction sectors (4.0%), accommodation and food service (6.6%) and education (3.0%).
– Private wage employment improved 1.5% -more than the previous quarter and equivalent 72,120 people-, while the public did so at a rate of 2.7%, less than the previous quarter. As a whole, a year ago, salaried workers were up 0.8%, with an important role in the public sector.
3. Occupation of better quality
– Continuing adjustments in employment on their own: they now accuse a drop of 0.2%, which represents a turn before the rise of 4.8% a year ago. It is assumed that it is a type of employment with less social protection.
– The voluntary part-time occupations increased 8.8% motivated by private employees and the sectors of commerce, agriculture and fisheries. As a counterpart, the involuntary went back 4.2%.
4. The north takes the worst part
Unemployment rose in nine regions – seven percent above 7.1% -, fell by five and remained in Aysén. In the northern Tarapacá, Antofagasta and Atacama areas it exceeds 8%. Higgins also joins the club with 8%.