Monday , September 26 2022

The mother and daughter in the hospital make taxpayers 180,000 pounds


Ruth Kidane became one of the most famous faces at Barnet Hospital in North London
A 21-year-old, who has a rare, degenerative muscle weakening disorder, is very pleased here and likes staff.
"They are great," she said, a barely heard voice when we met this week.
The rout is limited to a wheelchair, and sometimes it has difficulty breathing, eating, swallowing and even talking, and it all faces a quiet resistance.
It is impossible not to warm Ruth, nor to move on to the dedication of his mother, Mimi Tebe, 50, who is constantly present on her side.
But behind Ruth's unavoidable difficulties of daily existence is another story.
One who ignited public opinion angered groups of patients and put Ruth, her mother and Barnet Hospital into the center of controversy.
The reason is the following: for the past 15 months, Ruth and Mimi, originating in Ethiopia, live in a hospital.
& # 39; Living & # 39; it might look like an unusual word that will be used here, but it's actually true.
Rut, you see, it's not a patient. Not really. The patient is someone who needs health care or treatment.
Ruth is incapacitated, but she's not sick. Twice a week, for example, attends college, where she is studying basic English and mathematical matura, and she enjoys days with her mother, who sleeps beside her on beds in an adult room in the general department to be used to treat truly ill people.
How did this fascinating situation come about? The simple answer is that Ruth was originally admitted to Barnet Hospital with respiratory problems after arriving in London in July last year and, in a few weeks, was declared fit for release.
Under normal circumstances, she would, of course, be. But Ruth and Mimi, who lived in Grimsby before coming to London, claimed to be homeless and had no place to leave.
Hospitals can get a possession order to expel patients from bed, but Trust Trust NHS Foundation Roial Free London, run by Barnet, has decided not to institute legal proceedings.
So, for over a year, Ruth and Mimi are still "guests" at the Barnet Hospital at the expense of taxpayers – and will, it seems, in the foreseeable future.
Their application for social housing in the municipality was rejected and refused to return to Lincolnshire, where the council offered them a new home.
It is understandable that the case caused a public discussion at a time when the burdened NZZ increases to the limit.
The average daily cost of a hospital bed, according to the Department of Health, is about 400 pounds – 12,000 pounds per month.
This means that the price, so far, of Ruth's accommodation is about 180,000 pounds.
More seriously, debacle must lead to patients being deprived of a hospital bed.
In Grimsby, where the family was housed after having had asylum from Ethiopia 16 years ago, some of those who know that Mimi believes they simply play the system to stay in London.
Her older daughter, who left Grimsby for the capital a few years ago, is sitting in London and she just had a baby.
"No, no, no," Mimi insists when the charges for playing the system are placed on her. TV stations and newspapers tried unsuccessfully to interview Mimi since the scandal came earlier this week, but decided to talk with Mail about the events that made Ruth the center of attention.
"I understand why people are upset," she admits. "It's a funny situation, I know.
Many sick people are waiting for beds. I just do not think I have a choice. We have no place to go, and Ruth would be on the street if we were forced to leave. "
She acknowledged that her former home in Grimsby – a specially adapted bungalow on a new estate with a four-year property list – was "very nice" and had no "complaints" about the accommodation itself.
They left, she says, just because they were subjected to racial abuse and harassment in the city.
However, the police have notified the authorities in Barnet that Ruth and Mimi in "Grimsby" do not have the "current risk".
This information is buried in correspondence about their claim that Mimi handles during our meeting.
However, she is unbearable that she will never fall into Grimsby anymore.
"It does not make sense," she says, "because we will be in the same position as before."
Regardless of the truth, it can not be right that the room in the NHS's front-line hospital becomes a bit more than a B & B. Ruth and Mimi get three meals a day, but without a medical treatment. Immediately help Mimi to get Ruth into bed and out of bed.
Ruth's sister regularly visits and rinses. The post was delivered to her room. Most of the property is in a warehouse in Grimsby.
They have several clothes changes, and Ruth also has books for their items.
Great, she recently enrolled in nearby Barnet and Southgate College and Mimi was following him on the bus and from the camp on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Their various excursions were recorded on social media.
"Me and my mother went to town," Ruth revealed at Instagram. "We tried to find a summer dress for Mom, and she said we were going to H & M so we started. I found more that I liked."
But Ruth, who is hoping to work one day, has barely spoken the word during an interview lasting several hours at a coffee shop next to Barnet Hospital this week.
You will have to be hard-hearted and truly you will not have sympathy for this young woman, who was born with hereditary spastic paraparel, and the burden that her condition put on her mother.
It is also true that after arriving in Britain in 2003 and finally receiving asylum in 2008 – because Mimi said her family was no longer safe in Ethiopia – few countries could do more to help them – something Mimi does not always look like fully appreciate.
He simply can not understand why they are not automatically offered the proper accommodation in Barnet, even though they have no connection with the municipality. (Local connection is one of the requirements for putting into a social housing.)
Ruth was six and her sister when they first arrived on these shores after the death of a male husband.
She worked as a cook at a hotel in Addis Ababa, but she dropped out of work to become Ruth's guardian when she was accommodated in Grimsby.
Over the years, Mimi and her family have been living in a series of panel features and benefits, she says, from about 1,400 pounds a month, along with a wheelchair-fitted wheelchair.
Its last property, on the development of mixed social and private housing, where they moved to the beginning of last year, had a common entrance hall and kitchen equipped with new beech units, a sofa with cranes, double glazing, a back garden surrounded by a high wooden fence and front lawns; parking place.
Mimi showed pictures of her garden on Facebook, which led to a friend joking: "It looks nice to have to come and do my garden Mimi lol k."
In reality, Mimi now says, she and Ruth were often too scared to get out of the racial abuse they suffered.
She said that their names were called ("this way or so, N *****, go home") and even spit on the street.
Sometimes I was awake at night just to hold Ruht's hand while she was sleeping, "Mimi said." I started to keep the curtains closed during the day. "
The Humberside police confirmed that Mimi had "made a small number of demands regarding anti-social behavior and alleged rape," but said "no suspects have been identified."
However, her friends, neighbors and support group for disability, to which she belonged, did not have any harassment.
"I'm a private person," Mimi explained. "I did not know who to trust and I did not tell people in the guardian group."
The incident, she says, who convinced her to leave Grimsby, happened in the early hours of 8 July last year, when a stone was thrown out of the window of the French door at the back of the house.
She claimed that it was the peak of the intimidation campaign by a group of white teenagers who threw stones and eggs in their bungalows.
Residents in the breakdown say that there was a problem with a group of young people, but they were not aware that Mimi and Ruth were targeted or that their behavior was racially motivated.
The next day she took drastic action; Mimi dropped some clothes in her suitcase and ran away with Ruth in a train to the Royal Cross.
Those who met Mimi would say she did not hide that she wanted to move to London because her oldest daughter who lived there had only a baby. Mimi denies that this was the reason for their dramatic departure.
They went to London, she said, because it was a "multicultural city" in which Ruth would be safe.
When they arrived at the royal cross, they entered the black cabin and asked to be taken to the nearest hospital.
Mimi explains that Ruth was traumatized by what happened in Grimsby.
She could not speak, she said, and had difficulty breathing.
"We were taken to Barnet Hospital and we went straight to A & E," Mimi said. "Ruth was shocked and told them she can not answer, she can not say anything."
Ruth was admitted to the Medical Short-Term Care Unit (MSSU) – as it is called ironically today – and Mimi slept beside her on the chair. After a month, Ruth was ready to discharge from the unit. Trust this week refused to respond to Mail's questions about Ruth on the basis of patient confidentiality.
Initially, Mimi says, the staff tried to persuade Ruth to take care of her, but her daughter began to cry about the separation from her mother and prayed, "Mom, I do not want to go without you without you."
In the end, it was decided to transfer Ruth into the general section on the upper floor. She is appointed as a social worker and lawyer – the move is almost guaranteed, in most cases, to prolong any problem.
Ruth was probably the most likely example in the record of what is known as "blocking the bed" – a term commonly used to describe delays in separating elderly patients from the hospital when there are difficulties in organizing social care.
A survey of several leading universities, including Okford, found that about 8,000 people die each year because of a bed block in NHS departments. The lack of beds for patients requiring urgent surgery often leads to cancellation of surgery.
Hospitals received 413 orders for the removal of patients from bed in 2016.
There could rarely have been a more emotional case than Ruth Kidane. She stayed in the general department, in a bay of six beds, for the next 11 months before she was moved to a side room where she and her mother were.
How could they still be there?
At first, they gave them the keys to a temporary apartment in Barnet, but the front door was too tight for Ruth's wheelchair and later considered inappropriate for Ruth's disability needs.
Barnet ultimately decided that Mimi could not be located in that area, because in Grimsby he became a homeless person.
Neither, initially, could return to Grimsby even if he wanted to. Mimi's benefits decreased when she moved from the city, but during the first six months she continued to be a registered tenant of her estate.
This meant that she was collecting debts over unpaid lease, making it unsuitable for other accommodation in the hall.
The Council of North East Lincolnshire, an authority covering Grimsby, has now accepted "they have a legal duty to provide accommodation" for Ruth and her mother and have "adequate property at their disposal", but at the time of writing neither Ruth nor Mimi responded to their messages.
But we know he will not return to Grimsby anyway.
Mimi, for her part, says she has gone through all correspondence with her lawyer, who refused to help clarify the proceedings. "It's the current thing, so I will not comment on the case," he told us.
Only the supreme optimist would think that soon it will cease to be a "current problem".
Additional reporting: Stephanie Condron

Source link