Considering that not only does RLS cause symptoms such as need for movement and abnormal sensations in the legs, but also because of other illnesses, the following investigations are often useful:
- Blood and urine tests (determination of levels of iron, kidney and thyroid, vitamin B12 and folic acid)
- electrical examinations of nerves and muscles
- Sleep test – sleep laboratory
What helps with RLS?
If the syndrome develops as a result of a disease or disorder, it is sometimes sufficient to treat it. In case of iron deficiency, the affected person receives iron as a preparation or infusion.
Some drugs may increase restless leg syndrome. It is possible to replace drugs – in consultation with the doctor – to the appropriate one.
In a restless leg syndrome from an unknown cause, symptoms can be treated with medication. The syndrome itself can not be cured.
Many patients benefit from active ingredients used in other doses against Parkinson's disease, e.g. Dopamine preparation. Like their own amino acid dopamine, these drugs work on the communication of the nerve cells.
What can you do to reduce symptoms?
Every person is different – so everyone who is affected should try for themselves what helps them. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as panacea.
For easier cases of turbulent legs, appeals can be mitigated by simple measures, such as:
- Regular exercise is healthy and can have a positive effect on restless legs, e.g. Going through, gymnastics, exercising
- balanced diet that contains enough iron, vitamin B12 and folic acid
Vitamin B12 is found in animal feed, such as meat, fish, eggs, milk and dairy products. Folic acid-rich food, e.g. in spinach, kale, broccoli, spinach, peanuts, oatmeal. Food as an iron supplier is, for example, Liver, sesame, pumpkin seeds, legumes, linseed.
- Change the shower and / or foot
- warm or cold wrap
- Massage your legs
- A few hours before bedtime, avoid "awakening", such as stressful physical work, nicotine, alcohol, coffee, black tea, car, energy drinks
- Abstain from drinking, which can interfere with nighttime sleep