Aside from a slightly short shot in the first ten seconds, and a baffling partial defense, Chelsea controlled in large part and felt comfortable in the first half. Although Brentford hit the post during a fight after the corner kick, Chelsea were the ones who threatened more and more frequently, although it took almost until the end of the half to find the bottom of the box. the net: Ben Chilwell scored again, with another fantastic volley with the left.
Chelsea fired in the second half and tried to leave the game behind in the first ten minutes. We created multiple decent opportunities, but we couldn’t find the final ball.
Still, the game was largely comfortable until about the last 15-20 minutes, when Brentford suddenly took the pressure off and made things very uncomfortable. Mendy was called into action several times and Brentford’s Mbeumo also hit the post for the second time in the match. Chalobah left the line out, then Mendy literally put his face on the line, but somehow we survived the siege.
Brentford (1.88) 0-1 (0.28) Chelsea
– The xG philosophy (@xGPhilosophy) October 16, 2021
- Tuchel goes back to 3-5-2, with some changes from our game against Southampton a couple of weeks ago, some forced, others volunteering
- Behind three of Sarr (!), Christensen and Chalobah, with the latter making a second consecutive outing. Chilwell, Azpi as sides.
- Half center of Kova, Kanté and deeper RLC. Lukaku and Werner above
- Assembly by Kova in the middle of the second half, as equally, and then Havertz by Lukaku in the final. James for Azpi in the final minutes.
- Defensive throw defending a massive problem in this one, from both corners and long throws.
- Brentford had 2 shots in the first 70 minutes. 12 shots in the last 20.
- Brentford allowed 13 fouls without writing a yellow (Canós got a yellow to complain earlier). Chelsea had 8, with 1 yellow for Kovačić. Still, Chelsea win a match refereed by Anthony Taylor for the first time in six (!) Attempts.
- Top of the league! (Both Liverpool and Manchester City won; Manchester United lost.)
- Next: Malmö in the Champions League