Thursday , December 9 2021

HSE acknowledges failures due to the death of a man (30) by suicide in his care


The family of a 30-year-old man who created his life in his life in St. Columbus at the Sligo mental health unit said on Monday that the strangest aspect of his death was to seek help from experts, "but he ended up dying alone in a terrible emotional earthquake ".

The jury returned a death suicide judgment in the case of Carl Collins, outdoor training instructor from Co Dublin who lived in Tullaghan, Co Leitrim before his death on April 3, 2017, two days after being voluntarily admitted to Sligo units.

Five hours before he was found, he told the nurse he took 10 to 12 sleeping pills while he wanted to "finish it all".

Lawyer Keith O & # 39; Gradi BL for the Collins family has repeatedly pressed HSE witnesses over why a young man who was a qualified surf instructor and trained mountain leader was not under great control after telling staff that he was taking pills and he wanted to finish it, especially since he was hospitalized in 2011 after an attempted suicide.

After pronouncing the verdict, the jury recommended medical staff to immediately establish a suicide watch system in cases where a previous suicide attempt was made and where someone showed suicidal ideas.

He also recommended continuing training in order to help staff in emergency situations, and HSE staff should encourage everyone who attempted suicide or who was suicidal to stay in touch with the family.

The HSE Executive Director agreed in Sligo Coroners Court on Monday that an unit in which a young person died "is not suitable for purpose".

Karl Collins, outdoor training instructor from Co Dublin who lived in Tullaghan, Co Leitrim, died on April 3, 2017.

Karl Collins, outdoor training instructor from Co Dublin who lived in Tullaghan, Co Leitrim, died on April 3, 2017.

Director of the care sector, Tomas Murphy, said that the construction of a new unit would need to be started at the University Sligo Hospital within a month.

The jury learned that the audit of the ligature points carried out by the Mental Health Commission in this unit revealed that there were 365 such locations in this unit. About 118 or 32 per cent of them were removed for a period of 12 weeks.

Mr. Collins, who described the staff as "a nice young man," was voluntarily admitted to St. Kolumba, an investigation has been heard. Two days later, a nurse went to her room at 1:30 pm to tell him that his girlfriend was there to visit him. He found the patient unanswered.

Speaking after the verdict, Ms. Colins' sister, Maria, said the family had been terribly disappointed. Their brother had time in greatest need, sought help in the most obvious places, the HSE mental hospital, and "only 50 hours later he was dead."

She said that her brother had a positive influence on everyone who met him. "It's shocking for a self-confident psychiatric patient to live in the very walls of the HSE mental hospital," said Mrs Collins.

Coroner Eamon MacGovan heard that Mr. Collins was admitted to the unit on Saturday, April 1, when he presented extreme anxiety, insomnia and chaotic thinking.

There was evidence that he had attempted suicide six years earlier and was treated at St Patrick Hospital in Dublin. Upon receipt of the unit, Columbe received him a "room for best intentions", according to psychiatric nurse Gerri McGlinchei.

Mr. Collins told staff at St. Columbia had previously been put on anti-depression and made him suicide.

Another nurse, Sean Gilmartin, told the coroner that when he went to the room, Mr. Collins at 8.30 on the day he died, found a young man sitting on the floor with his back to the wall. He said that at 5 in the morning he took 10 to 12 sleeping pills because he wanted to "finish everything". He had an empty box containing 21 tablets prescribed by his GP.

Post mortem showed that there are only "traces" of this sleeping pill in the human system.

Consultant Psychiatrist Dr. Edmund O'Mohonei said that the boy told him he was desperate to fall asleep and that he did not want to end his life. He told the staff he had not slept for four days, she heard the jury.

Mr. O & # 39; Gradi pointed out that the date of the box was on March 31, suggesting that it took 21 tablets in three days.

Mr. O & # 39; Gradi said that HSE has already told the family about the failure in this case.

Dr Joanna Perlinska, the first clinician to investigate the deceased, said she was "an incredible type of energy". She said she was stunned by his death and could not imagine how the family felt.

* If you are affected by any of the questions asked, you can contact the free telephone line to help Samaritans at 116-123, text 087-2609090 or via [email protected]; or call a free Pieta House 24-hour suicide on 1800-247247 or text HELP at 51444.

Source link