IDF chief Gadi Eisenkot ordered reinforcements to remain in place near Gaza and the army will remain there at a high level warning on Wednesday, after assessing security with senior officers from the Gaza Strip, it seemed that an accelerated cease-fire seemed to have been held after intense fighting earlier Sunday.
Eisenkot met Wednesday with the head of the southern command, Majko General Herzi Halevi, the commander of the Gaza Ezeler Toledano Division, and the head of the 162nd Armored Brigade Brig. Gen. Oded Basiuk.
"As part of the assessment of the situation, it was decided to maintain the hull readiness and increased hull [Gaza] Division, "the statement said.
The Chief of Staff also spoke about "different ways of using force in the future," the army said without elaboration.
While in the south, the IDF chief visited also IDF soldiers who were severely wounded when terrorists in the Gaza strip fired an anti-tank guided missile on a bus parked near the border, apparently against the military protocol.
The decision to keep troops at the border was announced the day after the de facto ceasefire came into force after some of the brightest fighting between Israel and terrorist groups in the Gaza Strip of the Gaza War in 2014.
According to the military, more than 460 missiles and mortars in the south of Israel have been depleted on Monday and Tuesday – more than double the rate they were launched during the war in 2014.
The defense system of the rocket against the iron dome has intercepted more than 100 of them. Most of the rest landed in open fields, but dozens flew to Israeli cities, killing one person, wounding dozens and causing significant property damage.
In response to missiles and mortar attacks, the Israeli military said it targeted at about 160 locations in the Gaza Strip linked to Hamas terrorist groups and Palestinian Islamic Jihadas, including four facilities that the army called the "key strategic assets".
The ceasefire, announced by Hamas, but not officially confirmed by Israel, seems to be largely held on Wednesday evening, despite two incidents along the border earlier in the day.
The IRF Home Front command removed all restrictions on residents of southern Israel on Tuesday evening, declaring "a return to normal", allowing schools, businesses and government offices to reopen on Wednesday.
More than a day after the coming into force of the conciliation, the cease-fire was held on Wednesday evening, after more than 24 hours without missile launch or Israeli air strikes.
Quietly missed for two interruptions along the border, including one in which he shot and killed Gazan when he approached the Israeli border fence.
This man was identified by the health ministry in Hamas in Gaza, as 20-year-old Nawaf Ahmad al-Attar, a fisherman.
The Israeli army confirmed that the soldiers opened fire while a group of Palestinian men spotted a walk to a border fence in the northern Gaza Strip, near the Israeli community Kibbutz Zikkim.
According to media reports, the suspect was killed while he continued to approach the fence despite warnings.
Palestinian media report that Al-Atar was killed at sea – something IDF denies.
Earlier that day, Israeli troops killed and arrested a Palestinian man who threw a number of shells into a security fence in the northern Gaza Strip, the army said.
The grenades did not explode.
According to the Israeli Defense Forces, when arrested, it was found that the suspect had a pair of screws and a knife.