Thursday , July 7 2022

The man remained blind to the parasite after showering with contact lenses



[ad_1]

Doing a shower is a daily task that most of us do not think.

But for the British man Nick Humphreys, he has proven to be harmful to his health.

The young man of 29 years remained blind to the right eye after taking the routines of the hose while wearing his contact lenses. You have warned who carried them, The sun reports

"At that moment I did not think anything. They never told me I did not put contact lenses in the shower. There is no warning to the container and my opticians never mentioned any risk, "he said.

Nick, wearing glasses since he was four years old, changed contacts in 2013 to make his beloved football easier.

Nick Humphreys showered almost every morning while wearing his contact lenses. Image: PA Real Life
half_cameraNick Humphreys showered almost every morning while wearing his contact lenses. Image: PA Real Life

"In the mid-1920s I started exercising, and then I thought that my glasses were a massive obstacle," he explained.

"When I finally ended the fear of putting contacts, I thought they were the best in history."

He carried his contacts up to five days a week and the glasses of the other days.

"On a standard morning I woke up, I threw away the lenses and went to the gym before working, and then I will jump into the shower before heading to the office," he said.

But after five years of showers with his contacts, he began to notice that something was not good in January of 2018.

He supposed that he had scratched his eyes while he was slow, but as the week continued, it became clear that something more serious had happened.

He went to contact lenses in 2013 after years of wearing glasses so he could play football more easily. Image: PA Real Life
half_cameraHe went to contact lenses in 2013 after years of wearing glasses so he could play football more easily. Image: PA Real Life

"For a few days I used glasses without a prescription and I converted all the parameters of my phone and the screen to the lowest brightness, which seemed to do the trick," he explained.

Finally, Nick went to see an optician who told him that he had an ulcer in the eyes and recommended him to go to the hospital immediately.

The ulcer, however, turned out to be an infection called acanthamoeba keratitis (AK), which is caused by a small parasite that is in the water. He had entered Nick's eye during his morning shower.

While Nick said that "he had never heard of the infection," a week later, doctors revealed that the damage was so bad that he might need to eliminate his eye.

In spite of being operated to try to save him the eye, Nick lost sight six months later.

"I was driving to work and my vision was completely right", he recalled. "I do not know how I managed to crash, but it did not take me long to realize I had to go back to the hospital."

The procedure – an amniotic membrane transplant to the right cornea – was carried out in July last year. The infection was erased, which meant that Nick, who had been forced to stop working because of pain, could at least begin to "return to the track."

He said: "Obviously, I did not want to be blind to the right eye, but at least knowing that the infection had disappeared, I could begin to make my life go back to the track. Finally, I could go back to work and start to go to the gym. "

Before, the pain had been "too much" and he struggled to leave home.

"I felt the absolute minimum and the only thing that would accelerate: playing football" was no longer an option, "Nick said.

But contacting the shower made Nick's eyes infect. Image: PA Real Life
half_cameraBut contacting the shower made Nick's eyes infect. Image: PA Real Life
And, finally, the parasite caused total blindness. Image: PA Real Life
half_cameraAnd, finally, the parasite caused total blindness. Image: PA Real Life

After being referred to an advisor to his head physician, Nick has gone slowly with his condition.

He is now working with the British Fight for Sight institution to benefit from raising awareness about the danger of using contact lenses in the shower or swimming pool.

He said: "I can honestly say that if I had the slightest idea that this was even a remote possibility, I would never have worn out contacts. It is crucial that people know that this is a reality and that it can happen through something as simple as have a shower.

"I've lost 18 months of my life because of something as simple as taking a shower with my contacts. If I look back, I will never use contacts again."

Nick suffered mental health problems as a result of loss of eyes. Image: PA Real Life
half_cameraNick suffered mental health problems as a result of loss of eyes. Image: PA Real Life

According to Specsavers, carrying the contacts during the shower is "unacceptable".

"The shower while wearing contact lenses is similar to swimming or sleeping with them and counts as one of the most common mistakes in caring for the proper lens," explains the company's website.

"Water and contact lenses simply should not get in touch with each other, as these glasses should be hygienically clean at all times. Otherwise, there is the possibility that germs or chemical products Like water chlorine, or even the head of the shower, put behind the contact lens and infect your eyes. "

If you need help with depression, see Beyond Blue for a list of organizations that can help you.

Originally posted as a horrific error of Man's shower

[ad_2]
Source link