Tuesday , May 11 2021

The court holds Imelda Marcos free while deciding on bail after pronouncing the verdict



While the Sandiganbaian Anti-Corruption Court does not decide whether Marcos will be convicted of a conviction, the former first lady is temporarily free

Published 09:57, November 16, 2018

Updated 10:32 AM, November 16, 2018

IMELDA. The former lady and representative of the Ilocos Norte Imelda Marcos arrives at Sandiganbaian on November 16, 2018. Photo: Jire Carreon / Rappler

IMELDA. The former lady and representative of the Ilocos Norte Imelda Marcos arrives at Sandiganbaian on November 16, 2018. Photo: Jire Carreon / Rappler

MANILA, Philippines – The Sandiganbaian Anti-Corruption Court on Friday, November 16, allowed Ilocos Norte to another District District Imelda Marcos to announce a bail bond, while the court decided to grant bail after the verdict was issued. (READ OUT: Imelda Marcos appears on Sandiganbaian)

Associated Judge Rafael Lagos ordered Markos to set a new amount of one million P150,000 to be settled by the end of Friday.

Marcos was ordered to remain in the premises while working on paper, "but it should not be long," Lagos said.

When Lagos asked the Marcos camp if they were ready to pay on Friday, lawyer Marcos "Lolong" Manuel Lazaro said "yes".

Lagos reminded Lazar that the court should refuse bail after conviction, "you do not have more legal remedies."

So, as long as the court does not decide whether or not to give Marcos the fee for a conviction, the former first lady has temporary freedom.

Lagos explained that Marcos appeals for post-convicting remedies had been held by the court since the arrest warrant was issued despite the arrest of her arrest on November 9th.

"Although we have declared an arrest warrant in open court, it has taken your request," Lagos said.

He was sentenced for grafting

The acquittal in the appeal proceedings is provided for under Rule 114 of the Rules of Court, depending on the discretion of the court.

Marcos was convicted of 7 counts of graft because of the illegal creation and maintenance of private organizations in Switzerland. She was sentenced to 6 to 11 years for each number.

Sandiganbaiana 5th Division said in its decision that private foundations were used to invest in the "private benefit" of the Marcos family, where Governor Ilocos Norte Imee Marcos, former Senator Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr, and the youngest daughter of Irene were designated as beneficiaries.

Chief Prosecutor of the Ombudsperson, Rei Kuila, said that Marcoses earned at least $ 200 million or $ 10.6 billion of what the court called "entrepreneurial activities of the former first family."

Kuilala did not attend Friday.

This is the 2nd conviction of Marcos. She was convicted of two counts of the verdict in 1993, but the Supreme Court was acquitted in 1998.

The 31-year civil lawsuit against Marcos and Marcos children is on the decision in the fourth division, where the government is trying to repay P200 billion or 3.8 billion US dollars in bad profits. – Rappler.com


Source link