The high rank of the event means that the best players will be able to participate, including the TOP 10 of the WTA world rankings. The main event of the WTA women’s tennis series returns to the Polish coast after a 10-year hiatus. This year’s tournament prize will be $ 235,000.
– Rather without Iga Światek and the biggest stars, because this is not the rank and date of the games – says Dominik Senkowski of Sport.pl.
– We want to create an event that becomes a strong brand in the world of sports and attracts tennis stars to Poland. Given the global reach of the discipline, I hope that the Gdynia tournament will also be a great promotion of our country abroad – says Tomasz witek, chairman of the Board of Tennis Consulting.
The tournament will take place on the courts of the Arka Tennis Club, which in the past has hosted matches of Polish teams in the Davis Cup and Fed Cup international competitions. The facility has an extremely attractive location in a forest reserve by the sea, not far from the city center.
– The history of tennis events in our city has a beautiful tradition. It’s time to add another chapter. Thanks to Iga witek, fans from all over the world remembered the power of Polish tennis. At Gdynia, we will try to match the level of the organization. I am convinced that this event will be at the highest level in all respects – says Wojciech Szczurek, Mayor of Gdynia.
The WTA 250 tournament in Gdynia is one of 30 tournaments of this rank held in the world during the year. The Women’s Tennis Association tournaments are broadcast in more than 150 countries.
– We are happy that the WTA Tour cycle is back in Poland and I am convinced that the WTA 250 in Gdynia will be a world-class event. Poland has rich tennis traditions and great WTA players, from Agnieszka Radwańska to rising star Iga Świątek. We are confident that the tournament will be a great success, combined with the support of big Polish fans – says Steve Simon, President and CEO of WTA.
“I know how important it is to give Polish tennis players the opportunity to play in such a big event”
The director of the tournament was Marcin Matkowski, tennis player, Olympian, multiple Polish representative in the Davis Cup games, finalist of the American Open and French Open Grand Slam tournaments, winner of ATP doubles tournaments.
– We are pleased that the multi-week talks with the company Octagon have been successful and that Poland has been awarded the high-ranking tournament. The number of licenses and the possibility to change the start schedule of the tour are very limited and there are many applicants. As a former player, I know how important it is to give Polish tennis players the opportunity to play in such a big event, because a good performance will help make their way into the world rankings – says Marcin Matkowski, member of the board of Tennis Consultoria .
Conversations with tournament partners are ongoing. The name of the tournament and information on the scope of cooperation with the main partner will be announced soon.