Monday , April 12 2021

A barbed wire has been repaired at the top of the fence, reinforced after a fatal accident near Kallang MRT station

SINGAPORE: Barbed wire wires at the top of the fencing next to the train tracks in Kallang have been repaired and reinforced after a 31-year-old man died last week when he was hit by a train.

In a Facebook post on Wednesday (March 3rd), SMRT said the barbed wire at the top of the fence, near the Kallang portal, was “checked to be compressed.” Since then, it has been repaired and reinforced with concertina cables, the transport operator added.

As a precautionary measure, SMRT and the Land Transport Authority (LTA) jointly inspected the fences of other tunnel portals and confirmed that the fence specifications are “in good condition,” the message added.

“There are several measures to secure the premises of the MRT stations. Physical barriers, such as metal railings and 3 m high fences, are installed to prevent the tracks from moving away. The CCTV installed with video analysis system and intrusion detection are also deployed in critical premises “, said SMRT.

READ: SMRT works closely with police in investigations into train track death: Ong Ye Kung

The 31-year-old man died after a train hit him near Kallang MRT station on 25 February.

A train captain reported hitting an object near the station around 9 p.m. A station manager was sent to the track and found a motionless man about 150 meters from Kallang MRT station.

The incident happened on the east-west line towards Pasir Ris and train services between Bugis and Aljunied stations were suspended. Lavender and Kallang MRT stations were also closed.

Man from Kallang Lavender MRT station run over by train map

SMRT said Wednesday that on-call staff members that night have had free time to rest and have access to specialized help.

“It simply came to our notice then. Care team officers will continue to contact them to support them. In the meantime, we are assisting the authorities in the investigations, “SMRT added.

Transport Minister Ong Ye Kung said on February 26 that SMRT is working closely with police on investigations into the man’s death.

Source link