BEIJING (BLOOMBERG) – On Friday, January 22, Huawei Technologies’ smartphone technology introduced new devices, with chips from Intel, MediaTek and Nvidia, which reached agreements with its global partners to resume supplies cut by former United States father sanctions.
Most suppliers of Honor Device, the budget phone brand sold by Huawei last November, have resumed business with the newly created company, said Honorary Executive Chairman George Zhao.
There are no restrictions on choosing component and software vendors, Zhao said, adding that he is in talks with other companies, such as Qualcomm, Advanced Micro Devices, Micron Technology and Samsung Electronics.
Huawei had sent Honor to a government-backed Chinese consortium last year as the tech giant faced sanctions from the Trump administration that cut off the supply of mobile chipsets.
The Shenzhen-based company is said to have safeguarded its core telecommunications equipment business by storing critical components to continue supplying the 5G launch from its home country, but has no inventory for its smartphone business. ligents, which was previously larger than Samsung’s.
The latest Honor smartphones offering fifth-generation wireless capability use mobile chips developed by Taiwanese chip maker MediaTek, the company announced on Friday. Its new laptop is equipped with Intel central processing units and a graphics processor manufactured by Nvidia.
“Based on the needs of global consumers, Honor has the flexibility and independence to choose the best solutions for its global supply chain,” the company said in a statement announcing its new lineup. “Honor has already confirmed partnerships with leading vendors such as AMD, Intel, MediaTek, Micron Technology, Microsoft, Qualcomm, Samsung, SK Hynix and Sony.”
A MediaTek spokesman did not immediately respond to questions about whether he had entered into an agreement with Honor. Intel, Nvidia and Qualcomm did not immediately respond to Bloomberg News emails seeking comment.