The prosecutors in the US state of Massachusetts have left a criminal case against Kevin Spacey.
Spacey, 59, was accused of looking for a 18-year-old man in a bar in 2016.
But indecent assault and battery charges were withdrawn Wednesday after the accuser refused to testify about a missing phone, which said the defense could prove the innocence of the actor.
Mr. Spacey has faced several allegations of sexual misconduct, but this was the only one that caused a criminal case.
Claims go back three years ago, when the prosecutor says Mr Spacey bought him alcohol and sought him out at a bar on the island of Nantucket, Massachusetts.
The defendant received the order to take to the rostrum this month after saying that he lost the telephone that had used the night of the presumed assault. Mr Spacey's lawyers accused the man of deleting text messages and said he could use the phone to prove his client's innocence.
However, he invoked his rights to the Fifth Amendment against self-incrimination and refused to declare.
In a Wednesday statement, the Office of the Attorney General for the Head and Islands said that "the unavailability of the complaining witness" led them to leave the case.
The announcement came after the accused announced earlier this month that he left a civil case against the actor.
The defendant's lawyer, Mitchell Garabedian, said in a statement Wednesday that his client "had shown a huge amount of courage in difficult circumstances."
The accusations came after another actor accused Mr. Spacey, who was 26 years old, was lying when he was 14 years old.
In the midst of many other charges of misconduct, Oscar's winning actor later retired from the series of House of Cards from the Netflix series and his scenes from the movie All the Money in the World.
The case of Nantucket was one of the few criminal cases that were presented as a result of #MeToo's Hollywood scandal.