Sunday , May 16 2021

Death of teen shows the dangers of sneezing, huffing to become tall



(Reuters Health) – The death of a Dutch teenager serves as a dark reminder of the dangers associated with inhaling common household products, such as spray deodorants, keyboard and cream. The cardiac arrest and eventual death of a 19-year-old child are described in an article published in the BMJ Case Report.

"The use of volatile substances in everyday household products has a very low spread rate in the general population, but most of the perpetrators belong to a group of people who need to pay special attention as a society: young people in puberty from problems with a problematic household," said the study's lead author Kelvin Harvei Kramp from the Maasstad Hospital in Rotterdam. "Medical staff who are not familiar with the inhaler abuse can face their dramatic consequences, such as heart failure."

According to the National Institute of Drug Abuse, in the United States, the abuse of inhalers every year amounts to about 100 to 200 deaths. Heart arrest after abuse of the inhaler is common enough to get the name: "sudden muscular death".

The inhalers use one of three methods for introducing volatile substances that will give them a short level: direct inhalation, known as sniffing; inhalation through a piece of canvas, known as huffing; and bags, which include a breath of substance through a plastic bag or balloon.

Hydrocarbons, used in household products for aerosol sprays, are the reason for a short-term high. These substances are easily dissolved in the fat, "and therefore easily exceed the barrier of lungs and blood of the brain and dissolve into high fat-containing tissues, such as the nervous system," Kramp explains.

Once they cross the blood-brain barrier, "they disrupt normal brain processes," said Dr. Michael Linch, medical director of the Pittsburgh Poisoning Center at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in Pennsylvania, which was not included in the case report.

"People feel high and can go," Linch said. "They can feel upset, happy or stupid. The effect usually lasts a few minutes, then people will do it again or continue with their day."

Heart arrest can occur because inhaled drives "sensitize your heart," Linch said. "They have made your heart respond to adrenaline much easier, so people can get hearty australia when they are upset or surprised."

A teenager who described Cramp and his colleagues treated the drug rehabilitation facility for ketamine and cannabis abuse. In an attempt to become tall, he put a towel over his head and breathed a spray from the deodorant can.

He quickly became anxious and hyperactive, and then he suffered a heart failure. The basic support of life by nurses on the spot and six circuits of defibrillation (shocking heart) by nurses finally revived. He was admitted to the hospital in intensive care and placed in a medical induced coma.

While his heart activity was returning to normal, his brain activity had never been, doctors report. Over the course of nine days, abnormal brain readings and apparent movement indicate continuous seizures.

When his condition was not improved in treatments, it became clear that no further intervention would help, doctors excluded teenagers from life support.

Ultimately, Kramp explained that a teenager was killed "during a time when the brain without oxygen passed through the heart arrest, which led to irreversible damage to the brain." After brain damage, the patient did not have enough brain function to maintain his life. "

While Dutch authors state that inhalation abuse is limited to problematic children, Dr. Andrev Stolbach believes that the United States is far more prevalent. "I think the number of people who spy or more or sacks probably more than we think," said Stolbach, a medical toxologist and emergency doctor at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. "I bet a lot of kids do it and who do not have access to other drugs."

With that said, "Not a lot of people are dying from it," Stolbach pointed out. "It's not on the scale of opioid or alcohol, but it happened." I learned about when I was a trainer as a medical toxicologist, you do not see that much in hospitals, but it seems to be reasonably prevailing: I grew up in the suburbs and many children But the real number is not known. Children look like harmless fun because they include something they are familiar with and tend to think about things around us – everyday products that we see in a garage or a bathroom – sure. "

The new article should also serve as a reminder of the importance of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), Stolbach said. "If you find someone without a pulsation, the sooner you start the CPR, it's a better chance for a person to live," he said.

SOURCE: bit.li / Tm4RMr BMJ Case Report, online November 15, 2018.

Our standards:Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Source link